- To enable all limited English proficient students to be competent of listening, speaking, reading, and writing in the English language
- To provide instruction that emphasizes the acquisition and mastery of English
- To increase the English language proficiency to the degree necessary to allow successful independent functioning in the regular school program
- To enable limited English proficient students to participate fully in the benefits of public education
- To provide limited English proficient students the opportunity to reach his/her full potential
Students are placed in the ESL program based upon their performance on an English language proficiency test of listening, speaking, reading, and writing, upon their academic achievement and other formal and informal measures. Depending upon the grade level and ability level of the individual student, ESL services are provided to meet specific needs. A combination of strategies are used to teach English: whole language, phonics, oral language skills, cooperative learning, and integrated reading. Emphasis is placed upon the development of the four communication skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.