Southside Middle School
Tallassee City Board of Education Job Vacancy
Job Title: Gifted and Talented Teacher
Reports to: Principal of Assigned Campus (es) and GT Coordinator
Dept/School: Special Education/Southside Middle School
Work Year: 187 days
Base Salary: Teacher Pay Scale
To assist G/T Coordinator in implementing an effective Gifted and Talented program for the district within the framework of the philosophy and objectives established by Board policy, consistent with the statues and standards of regulatory agencies, and in accordance with established regulations and procedures.
Elementary/Secondary certification- Alabama State Dept. of Education
Gifted and Talented Certification
*Be willing to enroll in school and obtain Gifted Certification
- Demonstrates an understanding of program and curriculum design for gifted and
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with parents/guardians and other
professionals to meet the social, emotional, and cognitive needs of gifted and talented
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Strong instructional technology background
- Experience working in Assist and writing school ACIP.
- Three or more years of classroom experience is required
- Experience with gifted and talented students is preferred
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Provide instruction for students identified as gifted and talented.
- Provide support to classroom teachers by assisting in identifying, locating, assessing,
and nurturing gifted and potentially gifted students, as well as differentiating curriculum
and instruction for teachers.
- Assist the coordinator in supporting principals, counselors, instructional coaches, and
classroom teachers to meet the needs of identified gifted and talented students.
Gifted and Talented Department Responsibilities
- Administer tests used for identification of potentially gifted and talented students.
- Serve on district identification committees.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records and forms
- Exhibit a high level of ethics and confidentiality in regards to student and teacher
records and classroom performance.
- Attend all district and state level gifted meetings
- Write Gifted Education Plans and serve on acceleration committees
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with students,
parents, teachers, counselors, and principals.
- Provide professional development in assigned schools to help school personnel identify
and understand the needs of gifted and talented students.
- Collaborate with the principal and school staff to help develop a rich learning culture
- Be willing to work other duties i.e. athletic event gates, school dances, etc.…
- Work with building principal to develop the school ACIP
- Serve on committees as needed
- Sponsor yearbook club
- Sponsor robotics club